BEAR MOUNTAIN BUTTERFLY SANCTUARY is permitted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and strictly adheres to all regulations, requirements, and safeguards stipulated by such permits. We are licensed for indigenous butterfly and moth species; no tropical or neotropical species are permitted. As required, proctors will always be in an exhibition space when visitors are present and it is against Federal law for visitors to remove any live species from exhibit areas. So bring your questions, cameras, and curiosity and…
Experience the wonder of live butterflies and exotic frogs in Jim Thorpe’s unique hands-on education center, featuring an indoor “Flutterarium” live butterfly flight room, kids’ art space and activity room, and nature-based gift shop. Learn all about butterflies, watch a short video, enjoy a fascinating and fun educational program from our knowledgeable staff, hand-feed butterflies, and create happy memories and a craft to take home.
Should I bring my toddler to see the butterflies?
We are a hands-on science-based education center and lots of fun, but if your child is too young to go to the movies, we are probably not the appropriate place for a visit. Perhaps you might consider a visit in July or August, bring a picnic, use our tables outside, and explore the native pollinators in the garden in front of the Sanctuary.In the wild, butterflies are not likely to fly in the face of your toddler! We LOVE children and recommend our video and program for children ages 3 1/2 and older.
Butterfly Friends for younger Children Programs. A great way to introduce your little ones to butterflies is to come to one of our famous Thursday morning programs from 9:30- 10:40 am. Special programs for families with preschool age children ( 3 ½ -5 ½ ) $5.00 per person . Child friendly short DVD, story book about pollinators with interactive program with puppets, and costumes, guided art project, songs, movement, visit to the frog and butterfly rooms. Reservations preferred but not required. Message 570 325 4848 or email: email@example.com . Regular walk-in hours 11-5
WALK-IN COSTS: Group prices are posted on the program page
Public Walk-In Prices for 2017
- Children under 3 free
- $8.00 per person ages 3-61
- Seniors 62+ $7.00
- Free Grandparent Days every Friday starting June 10th, 2017 (Please see calendar for details.)
- $1.00 discount for AAA members and everyone in their group Monday through Thursday only
- $1.00 discount to active members of the military and veterans
- Coupons are available in Kid’s Stuff, and local publications.
- See our Discount page on this website for special offers.
- We honor one discount or coupon per group per visit.
- Indoor “Flutterarium” live butterfly flight room
- Live exotic frog room
- Native Caterpillar Exhibit
- Fun educational programs
- Monarch watch way-station
- Unique nature-based gift shop
- Outdoor picnic area
- Handicap access
- Walk-in hours 7 days a week (no reservations needed)
Thurs. Fri. Sat. Sun. Mon. 11-5 ~ Tues. Wed. 2-6
- Weekly specials and events
- Butterfly releases
- Free car and bus parking on site
At Bear Mountain Butterflies, You Can…
- Have a birthday party
- Earn a scout badge
- Have a unique nature-based shopping experience
- Meet our knowledgeable, friendly, and passionate staff
What people are saying :
“I wanted to take the time to thank everybody at the Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary. My husband and I were there with our two young children . They had a great time doing the activities, and of course getting to hold butterflies. We all had a great time and look forward to visiting again! I really liked the posters with all of the facts about different insects. The young man in the butterfly room was very knowledgeable too! Everybody was so friendly and knowledgeable! Thank you so much for the fun, educational experience! Sincerely, Aubrey”